It's worth knowing that when a doctor finishes talking to a patient they have lots of work still to do. Here are just a few things they need to fit in when not in appointments:
- completing detailed referral paperwork to send to hospitals;
- reviewing test results that have come back to the practice and contacting patients if anything is abnormal;
- reviewing discharge notices from hospitals and updating patient notes;
- following up with patients who may have more complex issues that need more time;
- liaising with various organisations about patient care;
- completing insurance forms and medical reports requested by patients;
- checking and processing prescription requests - we process 100's of these every week and they all need checking;
- attending meetings, often at lunch-times or in the evening when we have closed.
So please help us by calling as early in the day as possible (we open at 8am Monday - Friday) and by being aware that routine issues can have a time booked in the next few days.
Your support is very much appreciated!